Saturday, October 6, 2007

Finding a Dead Guy in New York - Part II?


Harlem, Saturday night, 2:30AM. I am walking the roommates dog and doing my best to walk a straight line being that I had been out watching football and drinking beer for a few hours. As I made my way back towards the apartment from the park I noticed a person laying in the street. I thought for a second that it was a kid, like a teenager or something. I wasn't sure what was going on, but no one around seemed to really be concerned with the fact that this guy was literally laying in the middle of the cross walk. I didn't know if he was shot, stabbed or whatever, all I could tell was that he was not moving. As I got closer I could see that it was a Hispanic guy, probably 24-25 years old. He was knocked out, I mean dead to the world.

Another guy walking past said that he had kicked him and the guy wouldn't move. We decided to pull him out of the street. I mean he was just laying there where he could have been run over by a car or truck or something. We got him to his feet, he was wasted. I don't know if it was booze or if something stronger was at work, but this dude was messed up.

After he almost stumbled into traffic a few times we decided to flag a car. Once we got a car to stop we pushed this dude in the back, much to the driver's dismay, and shut the door. Last I could see or hear, our friend was trying to describe an address in some very drunkin spanish.

No comments: