Friday, June 22, 2007

Beginning Life in New York



Today I arrived in New York. When I landed the woman siting next to me turned and asked "Do you live here?" I thought about it a sec, smiled and replied "Yes, as of this moment…, I do. It felt good.

I was picked up by a friend (No M60 bus for me this time!) and we fought traffic all the way to Harlem. So here I am - my adventure begins. I don't start my new job until Monday, but as of today I am a New Yorker and I must set about learning my new surroundings.

After we made it and settled in, we walked to the corner bodega, (The Hot Food Grill) and ordered a couple of sandwiches. My belly full, I walked to the grocery store with my friend and picked up some food for the next few days. Not even a full day yet and I can tell: Money is going to be tight.

To this point my adventure has produced few speed bumps and I am beginning to wonder what challenges lay ahead. In any case it's only the first day and I am far too excited (and tired) to be concerned with that. I am sure there will be plenty of time to be stressed.

No comments: