Sunday, June 24, 2007

Welcome to New York - Happy PRIDE Day

A beautiful New York Day. Sunny and warm. I started by meeting friends for brunch and all-you-could drink mimosas. We sat in an outdoor cafe on 3rd Ave and went about talking, eating and discussing baseball, New York, and anything else that came up. I did my best not to stick out as the "new guy" but I'm not sure if anyone was buying it.

After brunch we walked over a few avenues and watched the Gay Pride Parade. For those that are unaware, New York has one of the largest, oldest and most festive Pride parades around - or at least I am told. Anyway, I was just happy to have some new friends and something to do that would be A)FREE!, and B)Entertaining.
Now, don't get me wrong here - as a straight man, who has never attended a Gay Pride event - I was a little unsure of what exactly I was getting myself into. But I gotta tell you, it is much more than just a bunch of half-naked men, dressed in crazy outfits dancing down the streets. Although there is plenty of that! Just check out Superman and Wonder Woman.




There were tons of floats, elaborate costumes, singers, dancers and thousands of spectators. I was also surprised at the number of corporations that sponsored floats showing their support for their employees and their community.

By the time it was over, or at least I was over dodging my way through thousands of people! - We had walked more than 30 blocks, been in the sun for several hours and let's not forget all those bottomless mimosas. I was tired, but I had a lot of fun and met some great new people. My friends were right - PRIDE Day in New York is something that everyone should check out - the experience is worth it.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

You're sure lookin good in that wonder woman outfit... :)
Hope your first day of work goes good. Look forward to seeing what you think.

O said...

Wow...what would Allen say?
I'm glad to hear that you made it and that life is going well.
Good luck on your adventure.
If you stumble upon any jobs you think I might enjoy let me know...wait I'm buying a business here...damn it...well maybe NYC will be our next market?