Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Close Call in Midtown Manhattan


Just got home from work. What a day. It started off with rain this morning. I heard there was a bunch of crazy rain and tornadoes in Long Island (isn't that a Midwest thing?)

Anyway, I was getting ready to wrap up the day when the room started to shake. No one knew what was happening - Someone ran by me and yelled: "Get out of the building! so I grabbed my shit and headed down the stairs. It was a long way down - I am on the 27th floor. I was calm, I never was really worried, but a lot of other people were hyper ventilating and sorta crying. I think that is the only part that really freaked me - that, and the fact that everyone was trying to make calls and send text messages, instead of getting down the f*ckin steps.

By the time I hit the street I could feel the rumble again and heard someone say that it was a steam or transformer explosion. The rumble was LOUD, consistent and shaking the buildings all around me. You could see the glass moving. It sounded like thunder or an earthquake, but steady. I did my best to find co-workers and let them know I was OK, but with little success. I assume a lot of people just went straight to Happy Hour. Seemed like heading home was the best idea. Besides - I needed a beer.

I tried to head to my train, noticed chunks of cement that had been blown up from the middle of the street and a huge crater with steam billowing out of it. The firemen were hiding around a corner, trying to decide the best plan of action. It was pretty intense, I needed to get the hell out of there. Before I left, I grabbed what pics I could and then cops shooed everyone down the block. Thank God, my train was still running - I wasn't gonna have to walk home!




Check out this video!

I heard there is a chance that work me be canceled tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

glad you weren't hit by any pieces of street.

Anonymous said...

Hey, not to be all paranoid midwesterner, but according to one of the articles you had a link to, a similar explosion occured in 1989. That one killed 3. But... the more horrifying part was that it ejected hundreds of pounds of asbestos into the air and everyone was exposed to it for days before they were alerted. In fact, some major corp. admitted to covering up that fact for three days. Be aware.
I'm glad you were not hurt.
Claire

Anonymous said...

Nice month for you

Colleen said...

Yeah, welcome to NYC. It was scarier for those of us here for the shit in '01...