Thursday, July 19, 2007

Explosion = A Long Weekend

Got up this morning, caught the downtown D train and headed to work, same as I always do.

I got off and began walking east along 40th, but ended up having to cut south along Park Ave and then back up 3rd Ave. There was a huge area cordoned off by the police and people were walking in the street, taking pictures and standing around.I finally made it near my building, only to find out that work had been canceled.

Just check out this cop telling us we have to enter down the street. All the cops had face masks, I didn't - should I be concerned?



Once I figured out work was a no-go I did my best to get some pictures on and then headed to the Park.
Everywhere you looked the street was torn up.


There were semi-truck generators powering all the equipment and probably part of the block.


And, of course the media was there. This is the best shot I could get of the actual crater in the street. (Click on the pic to try and see it in the distance).



Instead of work, I ended up sitting in the Park and watching some performers from Broadway sing numbers from Rent, The Drowsy Chaperon, Phantom of the Opera and Avenue Q.



Much better than working. Plus, word on the street is that work is canceled for tomorrow too. Guess I will have to find something interesting to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Son,
It is good of you to express yourself so well with life in N.Y. I do wish you were not so close to the action but that is because I am your mom. I think Grandpa would enjoy your take on life there but you do need to clean up the verbage just alittle for him as to not offend please. I knoe it is a way to express oneself but the message can come across without. I love looking at the info but want to share it with all in the family. Love & Hugs, Mom