Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Mets Win! ... And Harlem starts on fire!

It's been a busy week or so. At least I think that much time has gone by... it all sorta runs together sometimes. Had friends in town, did a bunch of stuff and spent the first half of this week recovering. I am certainly not the spring chicken anymore, the recovery process is prolonged now. Phew, So much happened - best if I tell it with some pictures.

Saturday noon, on our way to see the Amazin' New York Mets play the Washington Nationals at Shea Stadium in Queens. Everyone else had a ticket, but I found some guy and talked him into $8 for a seat behind home plate. All the other seats were in right field so that is where I sat, I never even went to the seat, but I am sure it was cool,(As I write this, I immediately regret that decision).

The game was perfect though, great day, we were in the shade and the game was exciting to watch. I love spending a day watching a game at the ballpark. I even had 2 hot dogs. Oh, and the Mets won. ______ Umm, sure. I guess it is alright, but you know - I bleed pinstripes and didn't care who won. I just kept wishing that we were on 161st ST in the Bronx.


Saturday night - Got of the train at 135th, thought it was really foggy and then realized that the fog was smoke. As we stood there the fire engines came roaring from all directions. The NYFD in action.


It was impressive how quick they got there, extended a ladder and jumped onto the roof. About the time that I was really starting to wonder if someone was in the apartment, the windows began to shatter. The firemen were chopping out every part of both windows, glass, frame, security bars -- everything. It all fell to the sidewalk from the 3rd story.

The hoses kicked on, more suited firemen kicked in the door on the ground level and went in. We watched a while longer, seemed like no one was home, it was under control. Tell you this ... THAT WOULD SUCK!! Coming home to your apartment, your one sanctuary, and it is all charred. Holiday Inn?

Sunday - The day of the big show. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Spent all day Sunday hittin up a concert on Randall's Island. Saw Rage Against the Machine, rocked out! That experience probably deserves a post all its own. To be continued...

2 comments:

brianhelge said...

T-Money,
I absolutely love all of the pictures. You give us a taste of NYC when we live a thousand miles away.

Anonymous said...

Hey Troy...it's Julie. I stole Shawn's computer from him and have been looking at your blog. I really like it. The pictures are great to look at. It's fun seeing what's happening in NYC...especially since both Shawn and I have been there. I look forward to reading more! Take care.

Julie