Sunday, August 5, 2007

Becoming a Bleacher Creature

Sunday, 1:05 pm. The Bronx, NY. Went to the Yankees game against the Kansas City Royals. Ahh, the Royals - the lovable losers from the Midwest. Where I come from there are lots of Royals fans. Kansas City isn't that far away and they are the closest team around, so people support what they can. Plus their AAA club is in Omaha, my home town, so that scores them some fans too. So I guess by birth right I am supposed to be a fan of KC. However, I faced the truth long ago that the Royals suck, its not 1985 anymore.
The Yankees are my team. I have watched since I was a kid -- I revel at the opportunity to see the Bombers whoop up on a lowly team like Kansas City.

Bright sunny day. Seemed a lot cooler out on River Ave. We sat in the right field bleachers, the famous, or rather infamous, Section 39. Home of the Bleacher Creatures. There is a great book about these characters that call this section of the stadium home, Bleeding Pinstripes. It describes some of the more die hard Yankees fans and their traditions. Its worth a read for any Yanks fan.


Hideki Matsui and Melky Cabrera homered, Mussina pitched a solid six innings and Mariano sealed the deal. The Royals made it interesting, but never came that close. The Yankees record with Troy in attendance moves to 3 and 0.

Across the street the cranes are working to build the "New Yankee Stadium" set to open in 2009.

1 comment:

brianhelge said...

As a non-Yankee fan, I'm glad to say that I was there for one of your three wins at Yankee Stadium.

Too bad you didn't go a day earlier and sit in left field to catch No. 500 from A-Rod ...