Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hurry! Get the Camera

Friday night. Walking with my roommate to fetch her misplaced purse from a Mexcian food joint. I had just opened a beer, so whatever, I brought it with. We walked several blocks, topped a hill and then I demanded to sit down on the curb. So there we were, panting, thirsty and in possession of cold beer in a water bottle.

Me:(*drinking)
J: "Let me have a drink of that beer."
Me: "Hold on" (*drinking)

We're there maybe 15 seconds, a man is crossing the street and then loudly he begins laughing and saying:

"Hold on! Let me get my camera! I need a picture of _ this. Two, white people - sittin on the curb - in Harlem - gettin sloshed! It's a beautiful thing. I know Harlem is changed to see something like that."

Then we talked to the guy for a few minutes, drank some more beer and kept walking.

The purse was recovered, intact. I remind myself I am glad that I don't carry a purse.

No comments: