Monday, August 20, 2007

The Best BBQ in New York

I recently heard about the Hudson River Park BBQ and Blues Festival and made plans to spend a Sunday afternoon investigating. Now here is something I could really sink my teeth into, both musically and quite literally. I am a huge fan of the blues and an even bigger fan of some good BBQ. And having lived in a BBQ rich cities like Kansas City and Memphis, I feel like I have a good eye, and mouth for picking out some great BBQ.

I have to admit although it sounded cool - attending the festival served a larger purpose. You see, I am on a mission. I need to find the Best BBQ in New York. Since my arrival I have sampled a few places and I will review them below. From this point forward I will document and rate each BBQ experience until I have settled on the Best BBQ in New York. From this point forward, this mission will be known as... "The Quest for the Best."

To provide some continuity to this project I will rate each BBQ eatery on a scale of 1-5 in 3 key categories: Meat, Sauce, and Overall Experience. Let me catch you up on the competition so far:

1. Oklahoma Smoke House BBQ - (145th and Adam Clayton Powell Blvd.)
Meat - 3
Sauce - 2
Overall - 2.5
The food was decent, sauce was quite watery, service was decent. It was their first day so I will give them some time and check it out once their process is ironed out.

2. Brother Jimmys Express (Grand Central Station)

Meat - 3.5
Sauce - 3
Overall - 3.5
I heard the actual location is better, but I was impressed with this Pulled Pork especially since it was found in Grand Central Station and is close to work.

3.Dinosaur BBQ - (@ the Hudson River Park Festival)
Meat - 4
Sauce - 3.5
Overall - 4
A great plate of food. Grabbed this platter with BBQ beans and cucumber and tomato salad. Sauce was right on.
(Here's a good look at some of the action from that slightly rainy, yet tasty Sunday afternoon.)
The search goes on.

No comments: