Saturday, August 4, 2007

Rock the Bells

Walked the Triborough Bridge all the way out to Randall's Island for the Rock the Bells Music Festival. In the beginning we were 9, in the end our numbers would be fewer. The show started off good - we first checked out a group called Hangar 18. Then the rain started and we made our way to the main stage, found a good spot and set up shop. We were literally trying to box out our own space and maintain it.

At first the rain wasn't so bad. But then, it didn't quit for about 4 and a half hours. It actually seemed to let up, only to rain that much harder several times. Plus there was no where to sit down since it was basically and concrete and mud marsh land. I don't remember how many times I told myself - "You are too old for this shit!"

As a hip-hop fan I have to admit, I was exited about this show. I have been waiting my whole life - or at least since I was like 10 - to see some of these performers. One of the best performances of the day came from Rakim, aka "The God". One of the first rappers I ever heard and have never stopped liking. He was actually really good live, some hip-hop just isn't. There was this other crazy white boy near me, he knew every word and had the goofiest, yet sickest dance moves ever - it was great.

Other cool acts included Mos Def and Talib Kwali, Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang Clan (also a favorite of mine, Enter the 36 Chambers ? SICK!) and of course lets not forget the headliners, the group that everyone waited to see -- Rage Against the Machine! I have never seen them live before and it was f*ckin rockin. The crowd was frenzied and I was doing my best to hang with them. Check out this clip!


In the end, half our group left, or got lost, we're still not sure on that. We had to jump metal barriers to get out of the show and then still had to walk home after standing for 12 hours. My feet hurt, and they kinda still do. Here are some other pics too.
Public Enemy

Wu-Tang Clan

No comments: