Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Big Challenge



Moving to New York is a big challenge. There are so many things to think about and line up before I ever leave that it almost makes me crazy trying to keep it all straight. One of my largest concerns is how I am going to handle moving and keeping my dog. I have a 3 year old Siberian Husky name Takoma. By most accounts, I am not worried because he is a very independent dog and I am willing to do whatever I need to do to make it work. However, owning a dog in New York is no easy task, I have learned this through friends and observation.

If anyone out there has stories or ideas about how to move a dog half-way across the country, or finding a dog walker in the city, I would love to hear from you.

3 comments:

shea said...

finally got this to work! so i think you can manage having a dog up there as long as you make a strong effort to spend time with him and take him to the park often. anybody i know up there has a dog...mostly little ones, but i'm sure Takoma will adjust. not to mention, taking him to the park will be motivation for you to get out into "nature". i didn't have pets when i was up there, but i think it would have helped to make it feel more like home.

tara_d said...

You're dog is so pretty!!
So if you are flying to New York (assuming), will your dog fly with you??? My dog has flown with me quite a few times back and forth from AZ...but he is only about 10 pounds. He loves flying!! Ok, not really. How heavy is your dog? Certain airlines let your dog fly with you on the plane.

Troy said...

I don't think that I would try to fly with him. He is too big to bring him on board so I would have to ship him in a crate and I think he might go crazy. He also makes these funny noises that sound like an injured baby seal. I don't want to scare anyone on the plane!

I guess I plan on leaving him behind at first, then coming back and driving out in a truck with some stuff and the dog. That is how a friend from Oklahoma did it.