Sunday, February 25, 2007

A great comment about moving to New York

I found this comment on another post I often reference: How to move to New York Sane and Not Broke. I think that kimdog adds some valuable thoughts, especially about living the lifestyle. Each time I have gone to New York I have found more free things to do and it just gets better every time.

From kimdog: "I moved to NYC in 2001 after spending most of my life in TN. I was scared shitless, but knew it was something I needed to do in order to begin my career in non-profit management.

I planned for about 6 months before the move, including working a second job to sock away cash, and then I sold my car two weeks before the move, so I had some savings to get started. The scariest part was just making the decision to move. Once I did that, I was too consumed by all the details to get too freaked out. Oh, and I only knew one person in NYC when I arrived

Following on Ben's tidy commentary-

Housing: It's very difficult to find a good living situation remotely. I got a short term sublet so that I could spend time figuring out my best option. I eventually found a great deal with a roommate, and less than a year later got my own apartment. Upper Manhattan is still the undiscovered country. Inwood and Washington Heights have some great deals and certain areas are rapidly gentrifying. If you are willing to walk the streets, talk to people, and make phone calls you an avoid the scam that are NYC brokers and save a ton of cash.

Cost of living- yes it's higher in some respects, but there are trade-offs. I was spending about $300 a month on car insurance, gas and maintenance (and I didn't have a car note). Now my transportation cost $76 a month for an unlimited MetroCard (and my employer pays for $40 of that). Also, incomes generally are higher, but depending on your experience don't expect to make big bucks to start. Like Ben said, get good at what you do. I started out in an entry level position making $32k, and doubled my salary in three years. I used my savings to subsidize my first year in NYC until my salary caught up.

Analyze your expectations- I know many people who spend lots of money to maintain a "lifestyle"- clubs, restaurants, designer clothes, taxis. Many of those people make less than me and are up to their eyeballs in debt. But there are plenty of other paths to take. I've made wonderful friends here, and most of them are native New Yorkers who are just living a life. The city has abundant riches to offer that don't break the bank. Hell, my favorite things are usually free.
"

No comments: