Thursday, February 8, 2007

How to move to New York

Back when I started this blogging thing I found this post titled "How to move to New York Sane and Not Broke." There were a lot of really great thoughts and comments from all kinds of view points. I often come back to these postings to remind me what I need to be focused on. Take a read through the comments and find tons of links to other New York sites.

Also, check out the rest of the blog. It's called The Consumerist, and it has tons of information about products, issues, trends, and all kinds of stuff.

2 comments:

Amber Nicole said...

Well, I am in the process of moving to NY as well. Actually, I am returning after a four year absence. I can't wait to get back to one of the greatest cities in the world.

I think one of the best ways to find a place to live is through your friends. I would make them your first stop before going through any agents or craigslist or ads in the paper. Craigslist is great and should definitely be on your list of apartment hunting resources. I would avoid agents if at all possible. They always seem to have the nicest apartments advertised in their office windows. But the fees they charge are a killer.

NY is a transitional city. There are tons of people moving there everyday. But for as many people who move there, there are probably just as many leaving the city. They're moving on to Jersey, or Connecticut or to breathe the fresh air of the midwest. Who knows. Point is, there is space for you, you just have to know where to find it.

So email all of your friends from the NY area and those who have friends in the NY. Let them know that you are coming and looking for a place. There just might be a friend of a friend of your best friend's girlfriend's cousin who is looking for someone to rent out a spacious bedroom in a top floor apartment in Union Square with skylights and rooftop access for $800 month (which is a steal in case you didn't know)!

You never know.
It happened to me!

Troy said...

If I can find an apartment with rent around $800 that would be great. I definately need to find something cheap. I am thinking that I will tap my contacts about apartments as my official move date gets closer.