Saturday, February 3, 2007

So why New York?

Sometimes being from the midwest is confusing. It seems like no one is happy here and people are often talking about getting away to somewhere more interesting. But most people never do anything about it. However, when I tell someone that I am moving to New York most people give me a "are you serious" look and ask, "why?"

Although it can be tricky to explain, it's a good question because it helps remind me of exactly why I want to go. I thought I could answer the question out loud by creating a list called: The Top 5 Reasons I want to move to New York.

1.Career - I am ready to begin a career in Advertising and what better place to test my skills and confidence than the mecca of advertising, New York. After graduating I could have gone anywhere, but I thought - Why not really push myself and take it to the top?

2.Friends - I have a number of friends who are either living in New York, or will be returning in the next few years. I look forward to reconnecting with friends I haven't seen in a while and making as many new friendships as I can.

3.Transportation - Plain and simple, I am tired of having to deal with a vehicle and its costs. Moving to New York will eliminate my payment, insurance costs, fuel costs and much more.In my previous visits to the city, the subway and bus system has been efficient. Don't get me wrong, public transportation has its downside, but I am willing to sacrifice a little personal freedom for money saved.

4.Culture - New York is home to tons of museums, theaters, music venues and all kinds of other cultural hot spots. There is just so much going on. I can't wait to dive in. I look forward to exploring the city and broadening my horizons at the same time.

5. The Yankees - OK, so this one isn't deep or meaningful. At least maybe not to anyone who isn't a fan of the Bronx Bombers. But I have been a Yankees fan since I was a kid and am excited that it will be easier for me to attend games or catch them on TV. (Thanks to YES Network, nearly every game is televised!)

No comments: