Monday, February 19, 2007

How to Move To New York City Sane And Not Broke

Here is some great advice from an article I mentioned before: HOW TO: Move To New York City Sane And Not Broke - from The Consumerist

LINE UP JOB PROSPECTS. Send out feelers and resumes before you arrive. Tap those personal connections. Let people know you're coming. If you went to college, call up the alumni office and see if they can hook you up with former students in New York. Monster.com has never done anything for us. Craigslist has. Don't get discouraged if people don't initially seem that interested in you. Tons of people say they're going to move to New York but never do, so NYC veterans learn to take a policy of, 'I'll see it when I see it.' That's okay, just start cranking the wheel on getting a cash flow going as early as possible."

This is something that I am working on right now. I have a trip to the city planned in a few weeks and I have been calling anyone and everyone I know. I have a few informational interviews and several personal meetings already set up and they have all basically come from personal contacts. I visited the city back in November and that is when I actually met some of the people that I will be visiting. It's like the posting above says: once people knew that I was serious and that I was committed to coming they have been much more responsive. Simply sending my resume and saying I would like to come to New York wasn't enough!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck man. I was reading a lot of these same articles 3 years ago. The move is worth it but there is really no way to prepare for what is in store for you.

Troy said...

I agree - I think there really is no way to prepare until you just simply do it. Here's a question for ya: What is one thing that you wish you would have know or wish you would have thought of before you moved?