Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Baseball comes to New York

I was going through some stuff the other night, ya know, packing for my move and getting rid of stuff. I was in the middle of combining several boxes of baseball cards when I sorta "spaced off." I loved collecting cards as a kid and even still I find myself buying a pack on occasion. Anyway, I soon found myself flipping through stacks of cards - my memory taking me back to days of trading cards with my younger brothers. I came across some of my favorite players ... Roger Clemens, Ozzie Smith, Andre Dawson ... the list goes on.

For a second I contemplate getting rid of the cards. Perhaps now is the right time. I might make some extra money to take to New York, plus I would have 2 less boxes of stuff.

But no - I can't bring myself to do it. The reasoning doesn't matter - I have to keep these cards. There isn't a kid out there who collected cards that can easily make the decision. These are things that you just hold on to. Who knows if they will ever be worth something, most of them are common cards and half-assembled sets. The thing is, they connect me with the boy I use to be and baseball will always have the ability to transcend the years and take me back.

The only other time that I can remember feeling as excited about an oncoming baseball season was when I attended Opening Day 2005 at Yankee Stadium. Which leads to my next post ...

No comments: