Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Upper Harlem and West Orange

DAY SIX (Interviewing Trip #2)

Went for an early morning walk with my friends. Checked out upper Harlem, near 163rd St. We walked through an area called Sylvan Terrace - it is a block of row houses built in the 1800's when Dutch settlers first entered the area. We got there just ahead of a huge tour group - phew!


Around the corner we visited Morris Jumel Mansion - the last colonial style mansion left in the city. It sits on top of a big hill looking out over Harlem and the Bronx. Supposedly a woman married to Aaron Burr stayed here for many years and housed guests such as George Washington and many others.





Our brief history lesson left us hungry so we got some breakfast at a greasy spoon called Jimbo's Burger Palace.

Next we checked out Highbridge Park and found a hole in the fence that led to a trail. The area beyond the fence was rocky and full of trees and brush so it was almost like taking a hike in nature somewhere. We found a great view of the Harlem River and sat down to digest and relax.

Plus we could see Yankee Stadium off in the distance. A great site for a Yankees fan like myself.


Later I was to visit a friend staying in West Orange, New Jersey - a place not too far from the city by car, but way the heck out there by mass transit. I started by catching the 2 train from 145th St. and riding the length of Manhattan to Park Place, hopped a PATH train to New Jersey and rode to the last stop at Newark/Penn Station. I then met my friend at the station and rode a bus about 40 minutes. It was a nice break to escape the city for a night, eat a home cooked meal and just simply get away from the pace of everything. Although West Orange is way out there it is really nice, we saw deer and wild turkey, something I did not expect on this trip.

Tomorrow I will head back to the city and see what is going on for Memorial Day.

Expenses:

Lunch $8
Bottled Water $1.25
PATH train $1.50
Magazine $7
Groceries for dinner $10
Bus tickets $5

Total $32.75

3 comments:

brianhelge said...

I love how the beer is always the most expensive part of your day.

Where's the budget for the Yankees game(s)?

Congrats on getting a job offer. Any luck on finding a place to live up there yet?

Troy said...

I think I may have a problem. You're right - beer is the largest chunk of expense in nearly every day.

As far as the Yankees, I got a lot of other things to take care, but I am always thinking of how I can land a couple.

I don't have my own place lined up but will be starting out in Harlem with some friends.

Anonymous said...

I was in harlem today. Probably been 20 times or so... not always the picturesque place your making it out to be. Just saying, it's a lot better than it once was (It's no East New York, Brooklyn or South Bronx)and there are some pockets of gentrifacation but I was not on jury duty for a murder that occured in harlem for no reason. In other words its better but do not let your guard down. Just FYI.